Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Prayer To God

Dear Lord,

Why is it always at night that such dreadful thoughts plague me? I worry Lord, for Nick. What am I to do when he is someday gone from me, off to fight a war and perhaps never return to my arms. How will I live, Lord? How will life hold any luster or worth? When he breaths, I inhale, when his heart beats, mine answers with a beat of its own. If I were to lose that partner, how would I know when to breathe, how would my heart know when to beat? How could I survive?

I can endure any absence but such a great loss would destroy me.

I know that he would rather be taken, if the life he would have to lead after would not really be life at all. "Confined to a bed is no life at all," he tells me. With this, I understand.

But it only makes me pray harder that you protect him from all sorts of harm!

And so I pray, the same prayer that you have heard every night since I found out he would indeed be a Marine....

Please keep Nicholas safe. Protect him from all harm that comes his way
and bring him back to me, so that we can live the long life we often speak of
and raise the children that we imagine. Surround him with your love, surround him in my love. When he is tired, take my love and make it strength. Help him, love
him, protect him. I can ask for nothing more nor will I ask for more.

In Jesus Name.

Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment